Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Do NOT Heart American Idol

I don't like American Idol. I just never have gotten into it. One season Pootie Pie watched it so I rooted for Chris Daughtery along with her, but that is the extent of my Idol experience.

I especially hate the beginning of the season when all the sucky people are on and the judges make fun of them. Some of them SO deserve it, but to some of them this is their future, their hopes, their dreams but its just a game to Simon, Paula and Randy and it makes me sad so I avoid it.

It is still early in the season and tonight SSB is in Vegas, Pootie is at an away basketball game, Bugaboo is at work and EVERYONE ELSE IS IN MY ROOM WATCHING IDOL. I am trapped. Doomed.

Then Amy Flynn, a 16 year old from a Catholic High School in Knoxville came on. She is on the dance team at her school, dancing all provocatively, but preaching abstinence in the midst. (Oh, I see a lot of Bugaboo in her.)

She gave Simon a little speech about waiting for the right person and not having pre-marital sex. Ha ha! They joked about it, but didn't make fun of HER.

She sang a Christina Aguilera song. Wow. That's hard no matter which song it is or who you are. She did well, but Simon was not very nice. He said she reminded him of the annoying girl singing in her bedroom. She frowned and said. "That's a bit much" but she SO took it. She TOOK it. She looked sad but she didn't crumble at all and she held her own, which is enough to be proud of. And for the first time in my life, though, I agreed with Simon Cowell: the song was too big for her. That's not necessarily a bad thing. She just needs to take a different tack, a different kind of song. Christina Aguilera songs are too big for 99% of the population.

But he said YES. And so did Paula. And so did Randy. She made it! I was so happy. I'm as happy as I'd be if she were my kid. She's too sweet and naive for Hollywood, but that's OK. She may never be a pop star, or an American Idol, but I think she has what it takes to make it in life and that's enough to thaw my cold heart a little bit tonight and make me my eyes leak. Besides she was very cute when Paula said yes and TOTALLY reminded me of Bugaboo then!

I just hope her parents don't whore her out now to make her famous.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh!!!! She so reminds me of Bugaboo! She is adorable, has many of the same expressions and I loved her reaction to Simon! Bugaboo could do that too - stand up to the best of them. I will want to watch it often just to get a "empty nest fix".

Mary said...

when are you going to update?? comeon, I need a good laugh.