Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One Delta Ten Tango

After one snakebite hospitalization, three Memorial Day parties, a visit from my parents, one never-ending dentist appointment, one Kindergarten celebration, a carb-filled Volunteer Appreciation luncheon at the school and a painfully long middle school choir concert that made the dentist seem like going to a spa, SSB and I farmed everyone out and hid at a hotel last Friday and Saturday night. It was bliss. Since everyone was gone (well, except Dupree) we could have stayed home, but home has laundry to be done and a lawn to be mowed and a fence to be built. The hotel was the better choice.

We slept in, ordered room service, went to the Galleria in Dallas, slept some more, ordered room service again and watched TV on Saturday. Sunday we slept in again but we weren't hungry so we skipped room service and just finished the Bacardi from the night before. Wow. Big mistake. We are not cut out to be rock stars and have 151 for breakfast. We called for a late check out and then fell back asleep. When we woke up it was almost 2 and the kids were probably going to beat us home, if they weren't already there. Shitballs! We threw all of our junk together and started stuffing it into our bags running around like we were late for a gig.

All the way home I kept thinking of things I thought I forgot. "Did you get my makeup?" Yes, he did. "What about my phone charger?" Yes. Everything I thought I had forgotten he had packed.

It didn't occur to me until TUESDAY that I didn't know where my wedding rings were. I think I have a pinched nerve in my elbow because my pinkie and ring finger are constantly numb and tingly and sometimes hurt and having my ring on makes it worse so I didn't even think about not having it on Monday. Doy! I had to take Pootie back to the plastic surgeon and toxicologist in Dallas for a follow up so I had SSB tearing the house apart. I couldn't even let myself think they had been left at the hotel. He'd call just to tell me he HADN'T found them. I didn't want that kind of update. He was going to make me cry and crash and burn in the HOV lane if he called one more time without finding them.

Luckily, for Pootie and I and all I-35E travelers that morning, he found them. At the hotel. They hadn't even stolen them!!!! I was very surprised and thrilled. I almost hugged the lady when I went to pick them up later. I'm so glad I was an idiot at a nice hotel instead of a not-so-nice one. I would still be crying today.

Here's to you, Marriott Las Colinas!

No comments: